Thursday, December 17, 2009

#4 of Fleur's 10 Best

Dear Fleur,
I never, never, never WILL get implants, but- just for the record- why are some people so violently opposed to it? ~Boobs Cross My Mind

Dear Boobs,
Yesterday I came across an author's photo on the jacket of a newly published smart little book and I was astounded by the size of the breasts beneath her t shirt, given that her bare arms were obviously so slender. Throughout the day I kept checking the photo in wonder. This morning on my way to work with the windows down, a breeze of rain and sunlight mixed together gushed in with the freshest of ideas: Why not breast implants?! It was as if I'd suddenly stepped far away from all the cliches and stereotypes that "liberal" minded people such as I cling to so dearly to re-enforce our desperate need to be intelligent and somehow superior to the class we consider to be ruled by glam and chance. And yet, neither did I feel I'd soon be lolling poolside surrounded by shopping bags in zip code 90210. Miraculously, driving up the hill as the moody sky parted its cloudy lips and glistened, I balanced deliciously between What-I've-Always-Suspected and What-Everyone-Says. "Out beyond our ideas of right and wrong," Rumi wrote, "there is a field. I'll meet you there."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your response to this reader's question regarding breast implants in specific and, I assume, cosmetic surgery in general...

Times have changed...Those who choose to "change" their appearance through the "magic" of cosmetic surgery do so for a variety of reasons which are truly personal and will never be understood by those who pass critical judgment which, incidentally, is one of our culture's favorite past times...

empresas de consultoria said...

Nice post Anna, very reflexive.